Ticker

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Sunday, February 17, 2008

Temporarily Out Of Stock - whatever...

I usually go through my days not really bothered one way or another about the fact that I'm gay. At work, I am closeted by choice and outside of work (with the exception of the majority of my extended family) I am out. When I'm out with Julie, I rarely ever have a feeling of unease or scrutiny. This morning, though, I must say, I'm definitely feeling the sadness and frustration of being different.

I have decided to start reading up on conceiving a baby so that if the time comes (and I have a strong feeling it will), I will know what the hell we'd need or want to do regarding the various options and hurdles. So..... going online to find some good books available in Canada that would actually arrive on my doorstep this week seemed pretty reasonable.

Well... I have to say that I am disgusted with Chapters/Indigo for their lack of stock. Oh sure, they have a whole bunch of titles that show up when searching, but none of them are available online. They're all 'temporarily unavailable' or 'out of stock'. When searching for them at a store nearby, none of the 12 stores nearby had any of them. Why even bother having them show up in the search engine?? There is no place on the page to alert them to the fact that someone is actually interested in buying one so please order the fucking thing in so it's available!!!

Amazon.ca has some but they all say that they typically ship in 10-12 days. What?! Why so long? Probably because they have to get it from Amazon.com which has a load of them in the U.S.

Whatever. I'm mad. I tried Little Sisters bookstore in Vancouver but they only had an outdated version of one of them. I then went to the only bookstore in Edmonton that has a so-called gay section larger than one shelf and they also had an outdated version of one of them. By the way, the gay section was two whole bookcases... the size you have at home. Wow, how impressive...

We ended up visiting a Chapters after that just to see if maybe the website was somehow wrong (it wasn't). Amazing how the gay section at Chapters was four books crammed in with the Women's Studies books (which was four shelves). The baby/parenting section had a few relavent conception/iui books but they were not very engaging and the part about donors was five pages at most. Julie found a book for single moms that she gave to me to look at called 'Knock Yourself Up - A Tell-All Guide to Becoming a Single Mom' by Louise Sloan (a lesbian), which I initially put on the floor next to the other books I had flipped through and didn't want because I didn't think it was exactly relavent, but when I picked it up again to flip through, I found myself actually reading it. So, I ended up buying that one because at least it's an interesting read.

I'll probably end up ordering some books from Amazon.ca and waiting the time until they arrive. We'll see...

1 comment:

Stacey said...

That's crazy. You should check online because people always sell their old copies. You could probably get it used if you wanted to. The books we read were "Buying Dad", "The Other Mother" and we glimpsed at the lesbian guide to pregnancy but I don't think we really read it. I mostly got information from the internet. You should really look for other 2 mom families in Edmonton because I be they'd be a good resource for doctors and that sort of thing.