Also, Shannon, thank you so much for your coconut milk recommendation. It's totally awesome and by far my favourite of the non-dairy substitutes out there.
Now on to my favourite topic - Emily's sleep pattern or lack thereof
Here's what I've noticed:
- She can sleep 1.5 hrs at a time at night without needing to be soothed
- She's always hungry when she wakes up at night. For that reason I both breast feed and formula feed her at night to fill her up.
- She will rarely sleep longer than 15 minutes at a time during the day without needing some sort of soothing to get her back to sleep (whether it is a quick rock, putting her soother back in or changing her diaper again)
- She is the WORST at self soothing. She'll be rubbing her eyes and tired as all heck but she just can't seem to drift off by herself. I've left her for 5-10 minutes at a time to see if she can get the hang of putting herself to sleep but when she gets into the silent scary cry I feel terrible and can't do it anymore.
- Occasionally she'll go for a three hour stretch in the afternoon or evening. It's almost always at a time when I can't join her.
- We currently don't have a bedtime routine established. Between Jules working late most nights and Emily's need to be soothed by me and me alone, it leaves us doing everything late and before we know it it'll be 10 pm or later before we're going upstairs to start bedtime. We really need to work on this but honestly it feels impossible sometimes. :(
As I type this, Emily is sleeping against my chest in the cuddly wrap. This is after being awake for 99% of the time between 8:30 am and 12:30 pm. She'd drift off in my arms or on the breast feeding pillow and then wake up after I put her down or within 10 minutes. It is so damn hard sometimes. Even in the cuddly wrap she fussed for about half an hour before finally falling into a deep enough sleep that I didn't have to be walking around bouncing her or patting her on the back.
I swear, at this point I'd be glad if she had her nights and days mixed up because at least I'd get some decent naps SOMETIME during the day/night.