Ticker

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Sunday, June 29, 2008

Internet Dependant

This will probably be either my last or second last post until I get back home. I'm 99% sure that my aunt does not have internet access or a computer for that matter. How strange that I'll be going that long without it... it's kind of embarrassing to think about how dependant I and a lot of people in the world are of the internet. There's the blogging I do, the posting boards I visit, the games (Pogo addict, I have to admit), banking (LOVE online banking), e-mail of course, shopping and best of all, INFORMATION. Looking up a restaurant for the menu, looking up a company for what they sell, looking up directions to some one's house... imdb.com for just who that blond was in that movie with the guy, etc. What the heck did we do before to get all this information? Lots of books... books that ended up outdated within a year. I remember getting that Leonard Matlin (at least I think that's his name... I'd have to go look it up online to see if I have the spelling right... see?) Movie book he'd put out every year that had the brief description of what all the movies were and who the top two or three people starring in 'em were. Wow. And encyclopedias... people would sell them door to door and kids would receive them as gifts from their parents. It was a huge investment! Now a days? I don't know anyone who owns a set of encyclopedias... even the school libraries have outdated sets. Do they even make them anymore? Or does the information change so fast that they can't keep up? Anyway... my point is that without the internet, I wouldn't know anything anymore. Hell, I don't even own a dictionary... that's what spellcheck and dictionary.com is for!

So yeah, now I remember what I was saying... not having a computer or the internet for the next week will be a little hard, even if I'm supposed to be on vacation and relaxing. Ah well... I did it before I owned one (15 years ago), I'm sure I can do it again.

1 comment:

Citizen Julie said...

H and I spent a lot of this evening discussing this very same thing. I mentioned that book Silicon Snake Oil and this article in this months Vanity Fair about the birth of the internet and how now we date movies by how old the computer equipment and services are, rather than what the people are wearing....It has been about 15 years you are right...I thought this evening about how cumbersome phone books are because we can just look everything up....

All I can say my darling, is stay brave my little PB. Be strong!

And by the way - I think Stacy and Angel should be buying the Leonard M book everytime you saty so they can flick through it when they see you in a movie store!!

I love you angel, mine. Or rather, my little reflective philospher!

B