Ticker

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Monday, November 3, 2008

Another Update

Julie has had a few interviews in the past couple of weeks and two really good ones coming up this week. One is for a position at the provincial museum and the other is a position at the Canadian mental health board (or something like that). She's been preparing for days - I read her notes and points she made and after the first page I was ready to hire her for something.

My shoulder pain has lessened somewhat - it still hurts like hell to sit at the computer and type but it's not unbearable. I am sleeping better at night although I still cannot sleep on either side. It's hard falling asleep on my back but I'm getting used to it. My doctor gave me some topical anti-inflammatory cream to put on it which helps a little although it's really freakin' messy and impossible to not get all over my shirt because it doesn't really rub in. Oh well... some relief is worth doing more laundry, I suppose.

I had an appointment with a plastic surgeon this afternoon about this pain in my left index finger that I've had for the past 17 years. It was originally thought to be nerve damage because whenever something brushes against the nail bed and surrounding area I have unbelievably acute pain that usually causes my entire hand to go numb for a few minutes. I've been to a neurologist, several doctors and now finally a plastic surgeon has diagnosed a glomus tumor as the cause. I was so damn happy, I nearly cried. FINALLY I know what's causing it and more importantly, I know it can be fixed. I'll go in for surgery and they'll remove the tumor and hopefully get it all (sometimes they can't get it all and in 10-15 years the pain comes back). The surgeon said that it will be instant relief and that my nail will grow in normally. I honestly cannot even imagine the relief at this point - to be able to actually use my finger for simple things again. As it is, I hold my index finger away when I tie my shoes or button up clothing or open anything or grab anything. My second finger has taken over the job of my index finger so it'll be very strange to be able to use it after nearly twenty years. Wow.

Julie needed a hair cut and since we're living very frugally right now, I cut it. She asked me to do it and although I told her I've never cut hair before, she insisted. Well, I tried doing what I've seen my hairdresser do to me and it seems to have turned out semi-alright. With utility scissors no less. She hasn't really 'done' her hair yet so I can't tell if it's a disaster or not. She just let it dry naturally and it looks okay. She's happy with it, so I guess that's all that matters. :)

I am soooooo obsessed with Law and Order SVU these days. Well... more specifically Detective Olivia Benson and Assistant District Attorney Casey Novak. I've spent many an evening propped up with pillows on the couch with my laptop on my lap reading fic about them. There's not a whole hell of a lot considering people seem to like the Olivia/Alex pairing more (the ADA before Casey), but it's enough to feed the addiction. I was crushed when the actress who played Casey left the show after last season... the new ADA is alright but not nearly as amusing as Casey was. :(

Okay, enough typing for one day...

Today I'm grateful for:

* A diagnosis FINALLY!!!!
* My girlfriend... *cough* excuse me, common-law partner (she keeps reminding me of that)
* My family
* My job
* Fan Fiction - God bless the Internet

3 comments:

Stacey said...

finally an update!

sorry about the pain but I'm glad you are getting relief for the finger soon, at least.

good luck to julie on the job front!!!! isn't edmonton supposed to be the land of lots of job opportunities?

Sam said...

Yay! I'm so glad someone finally figured out what is wrong with your finger and double yay that they can actually fix it!

Stacey said...

where are yooooooooouuuuuuu?