Ticker

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Friday, December 18, 2009

Ginger Abuse

This is pretty amusing but only because my ginger girlfriend brought it to my attention and she herself found it highly amusing...

Tesco apologises for 'ginger joke' card

I honestly did not know red/ginger-haired human beings are ridiculed so badly in England until I met Julie and she told me about her childhood and even adulthood before she moved to Canada. It is absolutely horrible, the nasty things people yell at people in the street just because of the colour of their hair. And if you're a child in school? Yeah, good luck holding your own on the playground. The things Julie told me that she was called on a regular basis I cannot even put on here without squirming with embarrassment. No wonder she doesn't like visiting back home...

Her and I do joke about her 'ginger-ness' though and she has reassured me many times that she does not take any offense to it although that's probably because she was the one who taught me how to tease a ginger, she makes fun of it herself and because, quite frankly, her and I are damn funny...

3 comments:

Shannon said...

Wow! That's crazy. Here Erik gets stopped constantly by people telling him how much they love his hair!

Stacey said...

My idiotic brother makes jokes with the ones in his high school and they all have a "kick a ginger" day but I think it's because of the person they are bugging, not really about the hair. I told him that it's still not right. Crazy that it's that bad in England!!!

Alibongo said...

hmmm, they are sometimes refered to ar "rangers" here - rang as in clang. or orangutan (which I think is where it comes from). bizzarre!