Ticker

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Thursday, February 7, 2013

Three Weeks

Emily had her first appointment with the pediatrician today.  She's grown a bunch and is a strong little thing.  

Weight - 8 lbs 7 oz (up 1 lb from birth)
Height - 21.25 in (up 1.5 in from birth)

I didn't pay attention to her head circumference but she by no means has a huge head (except when it concerned my narrow pelvis) so I assume it's average.

In the waiting room.  Mom, quit opening the flap!  It's bright out there!!


She can hold her head up off of our shoulders for short periods of time now.  When I pick her up, she doesn't feel as floppy as she did in the beginning.  She still has a below average sucking reflex and a well below average rooting reflex.  Stroking a finger or nipple on her cheek or nose does absolutely nothing to get her to open her mouth and/or turn her head to the side for feeding.

I have another appointment with the lactation consultant tomorrow and I'm pretty sure I'll get a little scolded for my work this week.  I think I might have breast fed Emily four times yesterday and today it's already after 2 pm and I haven't done it once yet (though I did pump before we left for the pediatrician).  I'm not comfortable enough to feed outside of the home yet (heck, I'm barely comfortable to feed anywhere but the living room couch) so when we go out we miss opportunities.  That and the fact that Jules was a superstar last night and took Emily downstairs for the night so I could get some sleep (I was pretty zombified yesterday and I pulled one of my stitches so our first solo day wasn't the greatest) so there was no overnight breast feeding session(s).  Oh, and when I do breast feed, I don't even try to get her to latch straight to my nipple anymore, I just use the nipple shield.  Jules isn't around every time to syringe milk into the corner of her mouth to trick her into latching and I'm just not into having Emily scream and thrash around for several minutes while she tries to latch.  Oh well... at least she's getting something.  And she's put on weight so it's not like her being half formula fed is killing her.

As I type this I'm eating a bean soup I made last night.  I absolutely love this soup and missed it so much while I was pregnant and couldn't tolerate spice of any kind.  I'm looking forward to making more of the dishes I couldn't have while pregnant because they last for days and we can eat them for consecutive days without getting sick of them.

Jules bought a baby sling from a local woman the other day and for the past two days she's been subjecting Emily to various positions and holds in this sling.  We're not sure if Emily actually likes being in the sling but it might be that Jules just hasn't found the optimal position(s) yet.  (Jules just saw what I wrote and said, 'SHE LOVES BEING HELD IN IT!!!'... okay, honey...)
The sling's alright when food is involved!

Yesterday I took Emily for her first swim in the bathtub.  It was funny because she floats so it was actually work to keep her submerged so she wouldn't get cold!  She appeared to enjoy the experience because she didn't cry or look uncomfortable.

Such a serious little thing...
Well, I'm done my lunch and my wife is giving me the opportunity to take a nap so I'm going to jump all over that and get some zzzz's!

1 comment:

Stacey said...

She's so cute and she looks way older already.

I used the nipple shield for Jackson for 3 months. Whatever works.

I had a sling for Riley but found it awkward. I had a wrap (Cuddlywrap or something) and it was awesome for Jackson. I found it more secure and held him upright against me which he liked. Just a thought. :)