Ticker

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Friday, January 4, 2008

And I wonder why I'm moving...

The main reason I'm moving in with Julie is because my relationship with my mother is pretty strained these days. We work for the same company and started out at the same level, except now after six years, I have a higher position in a different department and make a little more money (only about a dollar more an hour, I think) than she does. She has never really gotten used to it, even though I've been in this position for three years and for a year before that was actually her supervisor. It's just a really sucky situation to be in because she will come home and complain about things at work and I will see and know the other side of it, so naturally we get into an argument or she'll blame me for something or she'll get mad at me for not speaking to her (when really I'm just trying to avoid a bad situation). She is not liking her job right now and I feel bad for her, but it's really hard to shoulder the stress of my position plus the stuff she's worked up about. And then there's the fact that she doesn't treat me very well at work. She takes out a lot of her frustrations on me, mainly because she can get away with it, and also because I plan production so if I've scheduled something she doesn't like, she lets me hear it.

I think that being away from her after work will definitely help things a little. Personally, when I leave work, unless I've brought something home to work on, I don't want to think about it at all. To come home and hear bitching and moaning about some thing or another, well, it feels like I haven't left work at all.

So... I decided that I should move out. The problem is that there are not a lot of nice places for rent (that are finished being built) in the area that aren't smoke-smelling basement apartments or rooms in houses. And the cheapest rent for the scummiest dwelling is $900/mo. Anything even worth considering is between $1200 and $1600/mo. I definitely cannot afford that on my own, so that's where the moving in with Julie thought happened. I didn't want to move in with her just to have someone to share the rent - I wanted to do it for the right reason. And, low and behold, I think I'm ready to take a step I've never taken before.

4 comments:

jp said...

Congrats on the huge step. I think this deserves some stateside Timmy's...

westmaple said...

Best put some liquor in it as well! ;)

Stacey said...

It sounds like it will be a step in the right direction. That's hard to work with family. I know from experience.

Congrats on your big step forward with Jules. :)

Shannon said...

I worked at a desk only a few feet from my mom for five years and lived at home with her for two of those years, so I know exactly what you mean.