Ticker

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Friday, January 29, 2010

More organic blah blah blah...

Every day I log in here with the intention of posting something but then I get distracted by checking other blogs first... Next thing I know, it's an hour later and I'm reading stranger's blog that was linked from another blog from another blog... And then it's time for bed or something and I haven't posted.

I'm still really enjoying my organic/natural/whole foods project. Last weekend I donated a lot of food we had in the cupboard to family. In a way I felt bad giving them processed food but they aren't at a point of wanting to change anything right now, so they were happy to take it. It isn't like it was total crap either... Some of it I was kind of sad to see go but then again, I wasn't. It is amazing how different I view food now. Between watching Oprah on Wednesday (the entire episode was on what is really in foods, etc.) and reading books like Fast Food Nation and In Defense Of Food and watching documentaries like Food, Inc., it is very easy now to pass up a lot of fast food and highly processed food. It's funny though that I felt like this even before I started reading all this stuff. I started doing it to regulate hormones and my metabolism, period. Now with all this other information, I think it'll be even easier to stick with it. The fact that I've lost 15 lbs and some inches doesn't hurt either. ; )

With that said, Julie and I went to a restaurant last night because we had this irresistible 2 for 1 coupon. The food was alright but nothing spectacular. I managed to eat about half of my portion and Julie barely touched hers. She told me that she's spoiled on the cooking at home now. I think I agree with her. Anyway, soon after I started eating, my nose started to run. I didn't think anything of it because it's not uncommon for that to happen while eating hot food. It didn't stop once we finished though and all night I periodically had to blow my nose. This morning it was the same thing... It wasn't until I was sitting at my desk at work looking at my empty tissue box (that has been empty for three weeks now) that I realized how significant this was. I tried to think back to the last time I had to take an allergy pill mid-morning. It's been a month. For a whole month I haven't had the annoying nasal drip (not quite a runny nose, just annoying enough to have to sniff throughout the day) that causes me to take an antihistamine on the really bad days. The tissue box on my desk that has been empty for three weeks would normally have been replaced at least 2-3 times in a month. Wow. I don't even know what it is that caused me to have the chronic nasal drip because I've never been tested for allergies but I'm willing to bet it had something to do with what I ate last night. By the afternoon I was fine again so I'm guessing whatever it was has passed through my system. Everything I ate last night was generally something I would make at home... I'd just use organic or whole foods instead of whatever they used that wasn't. Crazy. I guess this is one of the reasons why I feel great since changing my eating habits!

I'm watching the movie Free Willy on the family channel right now. I used to like that movie when I was younger and I guess it's still pretty good. My little sisters used to watch it over and over and over again like they did with every new video they received. I think I've watched The Little Mermaid, The Lion King, Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast, The Santa Clause and various Carebears and Barbie movies each over fifty times. Oh, not to mention Dirty Dancing and Steel Magnolias. Both of my sisters LOVED to dance around to Dirty Dancing (I think they wore the ending out on that movie) and for some reason, one of my sisters loved to quote Steel Magnolias all the time. This four or five year old would go up to people and say, "There is no such thing as natural beauty." Why? Because Dolly Parton asks Darryl Hannah to repeat that line to her in the movie. Crazy kid...

Anyway, I'm knackered (as my brit girl would say) so I'm off to bed. I'm going to check out the Farmer's market tomorrow morning to see if I can score some more and/or cheaper organic food. I'm totally excited about it and looked up the vendors online and I see there are a lot of variety and the place is huge so I'm sure I'll find some good stuff. It's kind of nice to have an interest in something that doesn't involve the computer or the television. Cooking every night has really cut my sitting down and vegging time down a lot which I've found to be a relief. Okay, shutting up now...

1 comment:

Fusion said...

Now that I have adjusted to not smoking, not drinking alcohol and no caffeine, my next plan of attack is what I eat. I put it off til last because it seems like such a huge task. Probably the best move anyone can make for the sake of health and community. I commend your efforts.