Ticker

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Thursday, January 3, 2013

39 weeks and probably a lot of counting...

Finally, it's January!  Finally it's the month we're going to welcome our baby girl.  When she'll come, nobody knows of course.  Not even the doctor had a guess today when he informed me that she's still bouncing her head off my bladder and my cervix is nowhere near preparing for her to come out.
39 week belly
I have been having menstrual-like cramping every day for a week along with the usual constant Braxton Hicks contractions and pelvic floor pain (ie feeling like I'm being kicked between the legs while walking).  The past few days the cramping has been after every bathroom trip, regardless of what kind of bathroom trip it is.  Unfortunately, that means that when I am roused from bed by the need to go to the bathroom, I cannot go back to bed afterward and I have to either walk around for a long while or sit and rock for a while until the cramping goes away.  Jules has started saying things like, 'I'll see you when I see you.' or 'I miss sharing a bed with you' because of how much I'm not in bed at night. :(  

One night I tried out the glider we have in the baby's room and ended up falling asleep for three hours.  It was wonderful except next time I think I'll use a neck pillow.  I can see that glider getting a lot of action this year - it was a wonderful sale purchase from Walmart.  95% of the baby items/furniture we have were either deeply discounted, purchased from Kijiji or from a garage sale.  We made the purchases over several months so we could wait for good deals.  Our end goal for this year was of course to purchase a house so we wanted to make sure we didn't spend too much or put items on credit.  We also received a couple of gently used items from Jules' co-workers.  It is wonderful when people are willing to pass on these items to others who can use them.  We fully plan on paying our items forward in the future, whether privately or through the church or dirt cheap through Kijiji/garage sale.

The wonderful glider
Another corner of the room
Crib + change table = $90 on Kijiji! 
Our most cherished baby gift from my dear friend Stacey
Baby girl has a larger closet than we do.
The only problem with having taken care of the majority of the baby items ourselves is we constantly get asked, 'Well, now what are people supposed to get you?'  Um... nothing?   I didn't realize that we were putting out friends and family by taking away options for baby gifts. I thought people would be happy that we took care of the majority of items.    In my family a baby shower is held after the baby is born so what were we to do, sit on our hands and wait for items we needed that might be gifted by friends and family a month after the baby's born?  Sorry, I'm a planner by profession, I don't operate that way.  

Well, I see it's now 1 am and I should probably try to sleep.  Thank goodness I'm now on mat leave because my sleep schedule is so messed up now, I don't know how I'd be able to drag my sorry self into work at this point.  Yay for naps and the time to take them!

3 comments:

Shannon said...

You will get a lot of use out of that glider! The room looks great. I love Stacey's picture.

My mom was getting annoyed when my cousin and his girlfriend kept buying everything they need, but you can't assume people are going to buy those things for you. Also, if the shower is after the baby is born or when you know what you're having, I find you don't get as much of the big items anyway because everyone wants to buy cute clothes for the baby.

Stacey said...

We were the same way and to be honest, most people didn't even get what we asked for (cloth diapers) so whatever. Get what you want/need and they can figure it out. Ideas for gifts: diapers, things she'll need later, jumperoo?, gift cards for toys r us or shoppers for baby stuff, shampoo, bibs, wash cloths, gift cards for food (so you can have easy order options for those first weeks)...

Love the room and holy cow, that closet is HUGE!!!

Glad you love the painting. Makes me happy. :)

I hope she comes soon. Riley came just after 39 weeks and Jackson came 4 days late. I know how it feels at the end to be done with pregnancy and so excited to meet your baby! It's so hard to not know *when* it will happen...

Stacey said...

P.S. You better post as soon as it does happen. lol