Ticker

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Saturday, January 31, 2009

Weekend Update

A bit of an overdue update here... I've been avoiding typing like the plague and have only been doing it when absolutely necessary. Actually, I think this is only the second time I've turned my computer on all week (part of that is due to my no longer liking this laptop at ALL because it's now so slow and the fan constantly runs *sniff*)

So, last I mentioned, my finger was quite swollen on Sunday. Well, late Sunday night I couldn't take the pain of the stitch pulling against the swelling so I cut it. I experienced immediate relief but was worried about having cut the stitch five days too early. I basically had a sleepless night and ended up having to call in to work in the morning to say that I needed to get some sleep before I could come in. To put my mind at ease, I went to the medicentre to get my finger checked out. Wow. Don't ever go to a medicentre in Canada on a Monday if you can at all avoid it. Standing room only, y'all. Luckily, I was the only one there needing the suture room, so I got in within 10 min (when I got there, they were telling poor sick peeps that the waiting time was between 2 - 3 hours). Long story short, I had the cut stitch pulled out (OWWW) and had it cleaned and re-dressed. They said it looked good and that the swelling was normal, considering I had had the surgery less than a week before (phew!). All my anxiety was gone and I was very happy. Best of all, they answered all of my questions, something the surgeon should have done.

I am worried that the surgeon did not do a thorough job in removing the tumor though. Just a feeling. I know that I won't be able to tell if the area will be pain free until it all heals up, but I have this fear that once it is that I'll still have a little. This worry is derived from the fact that he told and showed me how he was going to do the surgery but then did it completely different. Oh well, I guess time will tell.

I have been keeping it bandaged well during the day to help protect it from bumps and whatnot - the swelling has mostly subsided and I can bend my finger a little (the joint closest to the knuckle bends now but the one closest to the tip is stiff and swollen still and unmoving). At home I air it out if I'm just sitting (I think this is why I haven't been on the computer for fear of accidentally hitting the keyboard with it) and then I bandage it for bed.

Anyway...

Today Julie and I watched the movie Alive and then walked a few blocks to some neat stores and had lunch at The Manor Cafe which was Julie's treat. The food was really good and in the end we were both pleasantly stuffed. We shared their spinach salad which was amazing. I had their cafe burger which had artichokes, red pepper, lettuce, tomato and some sort of tangy, slightly spicy sauce. It was too big for me to finish but it was delicious. It also came with a small cup of beef barley soup which was also really good. Julie had the manor pasta which was really good from what she said and from what I tasted. She also ended up leaving some because as she put it, "I am K.O.'ed by food." After lunch we stopped at Starbucks where I picked up a decaf latte and a piece of chocolate chip banana bread (which was AWFUL btw... I almost had to spit it out it was so bad. Baked stuff at Starbucks seems to be awful as the norm but since I discovered that their blueberry muffins are edible, I had renewed hope...which has now died once again) and then we went and found a daytimer for Julie to use at work. Thank goodness the daytimer was 50% off because it still cost her $20! It is only slightly larger than a deck of cards! Ah well, she's happy with it and it looks really cute.

We walked home (more like slid home as all sidewalks and streets are sheets of ice after two days of above freezing temperatures) and managed a good half hour of reading before succumbing to a three hour nap during which I dreamt that Nicole Kidman carried our child. I blame the bite of toxic banana bread...

3 comments:

Stacey said...

I'm glad that you got your finger looked at! Hopefully it'll be back to normal soon. I'm sure the tumour is gone and try to relax about it. ;)

I laughed at the Starbucks baked goods comment because I HATE their stuff. It is disgusting which is why I only trust Timmy's for food.

westmaple said...

I know, I don't understand why in the world someone at Starbucks would go, "Mmmm... these are incredible. We must sell these!" Their baked stuff is so bad, I wonder if it's poisoned or something. Yuck.

Shannon said...

Sorry to hear about the finger surgery. I agree about Starbucks. Last time I went there I ordered some brownie thing that looked awesome but tasted like cardboard. Ugh.